Short Term – HR Manager, PNG
From time to time, short term opportunities become available serving in one of our programs. We have a critical need for an experienced HR Manager for a 12 month term in our PNG Program. We are looking for someone with a heart for our ministry, extensive HR expertise and management skills, along with the ability to build strong relationships quickly. This role is a salaried position.
Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) is an organisation using light aircraft to deliver help, hope and healing through aviation in over 30 developing countries. For more than 75 years, MAF has been transporting patients, relief workers, produce and medical supplies to the world’s remotest regions and places of deepest human need – places where flying is not a luxury but a lifeline. Being a global organisation, sometimes working in very remote locations can be challenging and our Human Resource department is key in providing support, guidance and care to all our staff.
This role is crucial in supporting the Country Director in achieving the organisation’s strategic and operational objectives. You will also work closely with the Asia Pacific HR Manager, and the International Recruitment Manager to provide HR Advice and support to Management and Staff of MAF PNG.
To be successful in this short-term role, you will need a desire to work with people and see staff developed and nurtured both professionally and spiritually. Using your HR experience, you will manage the recruitment and induction of international and locally employed staff. This will involve working with the PNG Orientation Committee, MAFI Recruitment team and the wider MAFI HR Team. Your ability to build good relationships will be important, as you manage the appropriate support and well-being of programme staff, employees, visitors and CRMF International Staff, with the help of MAFI pastoral team, and member care.
As the HR Manager for the PNG Programme, you will be responsible with your HR team, to oversee, develop, maintain, communicate, and enforce effective HR policies, procedures and systems. Overseeing the application and renewal processes for passports, work permits, visas and other matters involving the Departments of Labour and Immigration is an integral part of the position. Monitoring staff movements, leave, furlough and facilitating effective performance management, including reward and discipline are also essential functions of the role.
As part of the PNG leadership team, you will actively contribute to the team meetings, discussions and decisions. You will also oversee management of educational staff, hostel parents, member care volunteers, the Orientation Committee and HR Department staff.
The role includes visiting remote bases in PNG and occasional international travel.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
– 3 years HR Management Experience
– HR generalist experience of 5+ years
– Tertiary qualifications in Human Resources
– Ability to quickly influence and build effective working relationships with key stakeholders
– Demonstrated experience in developing people capability spiritually, emotionally and professionally, so that they are achieving their full potential.
– Demonstrated experience in driving positive cultural change to support strategic outcomes
– Advanced problem solving and critical reasoning skills
– Strong interpersonal communication and presentation skills
– MAF Experience or an interest in missions
– Cross cultural experience
– Experience working and/or living in PNG or similar international country
– Completion of MAST or HEAT security training