Quality, Safety & Security Manager, South Sudan
Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) is an organisation using light aircraft to deliver help and hope in over 30 developing countries. For over 70 years, MAF has been transporting patients, relief workers, produce and medical supplies to the world’s remotest regions and places of deepest human need – places where flying is not a luxury but a lifeline.
South Sudan is a country located in East-Central Africa that shares a border with six neighbouring countries. It is a young sovereign nation having gained independence in 2011. Since then, it has struggled with nation-building and good governance. Recently, a conflict between government and opposition forces killed tens of thousands and led to a dire humanitarian crisis with millions of South Sudanese displaced and food insecure.
We are now looking for a Quality and Safety Manager responsible for running the Quality Management System (QMS), the Safety Management System (SMS), and the Security Management System in the South Sudan program and deputising for the Safety and Quality Managers of the MAF Kenya AOC and AMO.
You will be responsible for maintaining a QMS ensuring that there is both a “quality and just culture” within the program. This will be achieved by educating and training staff and developing and embedding a proactive approach to quality, safety, and security.
You will establish a schedule for regular audits to monitor the effectiveness of the QMS and also a program to monitor compliance with the local regulations, approved manuals, and MAF standards.
You will also be responsible for maintaining a Safety Management System by facilitating the South Sudan Working Group and keeping records of meetings, participating in the Kenya program Safety Action Group and the Uganda program Safety Action Group as required. You will advise managers on related safety matters, including the development and maintenance of safe operations.
The third area of responsibility will be maintaining a Security Management System including its implementation, staff training, leading investigations into security events impacting the program and carrying out regular audits of the Security System, mitigation measures, and processes.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
– Secondary education as a minimum
– Excellent communication skills – across both geographical and cultural boundaries
– Experience of working in an aviation or related field preferred
– Confident in dealing with IT hardware/software
– Further education – Degree or equivalent field
– Completion of a course in Safety Management or Quality Management
– Experience of working in a role requiring compliance with regulatory requirements relating to aviation safety
– Experience of working in a developing country
– Training in incident investigation techniques and post-accident actions
– Previous experience within an aviation environment
– Project Management experience
- South Sudan