Quality Manager (Aircraft Maintenance), Uganda
Mission Aviation Fellowship is a Christian aviation organisation. As a worldwide partnership, we operate over 135 light aircraft from bases in more than 30 countries, serving about 2,500 destinations. These aircraft are used to enable aid and development agencies, missions, national churches and other local groups, to see people physically and spiritually transformed.
MAF in Uganda has 5 aircraft based at Kajjansi Airfield, where our office and maintenance hangar is located. We also support the operations and maintenance of 2 aircraft in our program in Monrovia, Liberia. Our flight program supports the ministries of many organisations serving in Uganda, East Congo and South Sudan.
MAF Uganda is looking to appoint a Quality Manager for their approved Aircraft Maintenance Organisation (AMO) based at Kajjansi airfield. The Quality Manager will be responsible for maintaining the operation of the Quality Assurance Program in accordance with the requirements of the Uganda Civil Aviation Authority. The role is for a formal Nominated Post Holder reporting directly to the MAF Uganda Country Director/Accountable Manager and the MAF Corporate Director of Quality, Safety and Security.
The role would suit an experienced aircraft engineer, preferably with a Quality Management background, looking to further extend their experience working in an international organisation.
Leadership & Advisory
As a Senior Manager within the organisation, and a member of the Technical Operations Leadership Team and the Program Safety Action Group, actively contribute to the promotion of MAF’s Quality Culture; act as a valued advisor on issues affecting the Technical Operations Department.
Standards Development & Harmonisation
Acting as the primary contact between the Ugandan AMO and both the Ugandan CAA and the MAF International Quality Manager, ensure the production and control of fully compliant manuals and other required documentation.
Ensure that MAF the Uganda AMO remains in compliance with applicable UCAA and MAFI requirements.
Managing Continuous Improvement
Manage the entire program of audits, reviews, and team reflections that confirm compliance and identify opportunities for improvement; lead the team in taking required corrective actions and continually enhancing ways of working.
Training & Capacity-Building
Work collaboratively with the Technical Operations Team to enhance their understanding of Quality Management and their capacity to comply with the standards that apply to their work; provide training, coaching, and advice as appropriate.
Career Development and Training
There is an opportunity for the job-holder to develop into the role of AOC Quality Manager. The successful candidate will be provided with continuation and development training to support them in meeting the recruitment criteria for the promotion position.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
– Current Aircraft Maintenance Engineer’s license
– At least 5 years of experience in aircraft maintenance, working for a reputable organisation
– Formal Quality Management Qualification is strongly desired; otherwise, strong, relevant experience and willingness to quickly gain qualification is acceptable
– Knowledge of Uganda Civil Aviation Regulations is essential, as is familiarity with the organizational manuals required by a “Part 145” or equivalent maintenance organisation
– Good ability in standard MS Office applications (Word, Excel), with experience in operating a Quality Management System
The successful candidate will be…
– Passionately committed to Quality Management, with a real enthusiasm for continuous improvement; this will be evidenced by a good understanding of the principles involved, and also a track record of personally leading practical improvements in an aircraft maintenance context.
– Highly proactive & decisive, able to take decisions within the remit of his/her role without needing to be prompted or told what to do; this will be evidenced by a track record of taking initiative and showing leadership.
– Well organised & productive – the kind of person who gets things done and makes things happen, with good attention to detail and high standards; this includes the ability to produce high-quality written work in a timely manner, complete, accurate and error-free.
– Logically thinking, the ability to analyse information, data and trends and identify the root causes of any issues; this will be evidenced by a track record of anticipating problems and taking appropriate action to head them off, as well as experience in troubleshooting problems after the event.
– A good communicator, is able to organise information in a manner that makes it easy for the audience to understand, as well as an ability to adjust his/her approach to build relationships and win people over; this will be evidenced by a track record of strong professional relationships, and especially an ability to deal assertively yet respectfully with those in authority.
– As job holder we expect you to actively work and live in accordance with Christian beliefs
– Some international travel may be required to support MAF Uganda aircraft in other countries
– Experience of working in a multicultural organization with a wide range of different backgrounds is an added advantage