Manager of Fleet Development & Lifecycle, Cairns
Does it excite you to be part of an organisation where every six minutes an aircraft takes off or lands somewhere in the world, transporting people who live in remote communities and assisting aid and development agencies, missions and churches to share the love of God?
Mission Aviation Fellowship is a unique Christian relief and development charity operating 130 light aircraft in over 30 countries. MAF transports patients, relief workers, produce, medical supplies and Christian workers in the world’s remotest regions: places of deepest human need where flying is not a luxury but a lifeline. We have operated for over 75 years and have developed into a substantial aviation services charity.
To continue enabling our Technical Operations service around the world, we now require a Manager of Fleet Development & Lifecycle who will be responsible for the development and management of MAFI’s aircraft fleet specification and lifecycle management plans of airframes and engines. They are also responsible for researching technologies to ensure continuing fleet applicability in accordance with MAFI’s purpose and strategic direction. The preferred location for this role is Cairns, however, we will consider the role being based in one of our other operational locations.
*Acceptance of, and adherence to MAF’s purpose, vision and values is an essential condition of employment*
**Successful applicants will be subject to pre-employment background checks including a Criminal History check**
In this role, you will develop and manage fleet technical specifications by handling modification requests, assessing specification proposals for fleet acquisitions, and researching and making recommendations for new aircraft and technologies applicable to MAF’s operational needs.
You will also need to develop and manage lifecycle plans for airframe, engines and major components by providing asset plans from induction to exit. By providing solid financial reporting and forecasting on projects and fleet maintenance events/costs, you will ensure appropriate provisioning of resources is planned and budgeted for across all MAFI programs.
You will need to bring your project management expertise to oversee fleet/asset inductions, transfers and exits, and develop strategic and tactical plans. You will also work in collaboration with management teams to set budgets and direct the purchase and sale of MAF International aircraft.
It’s important to bring your people management skills to affect the performance and development of our teams by ensuring a one-team mindset across all locations. By keeping a global focus and building networks across programs, you will help to ensure that teams have a customer-centric approach and are able to promote a generative safety culture. We are looking for you to provide an environment that encourages learning and delivers relevant technical and project management support, as well as focusing on individual professional and personal development.
We also expect you to continue to engage with the wider aviation industry to ensure MAF continues to maintain industry networks and keeps us up to date with emerging methods and technology.
There is some international travel required for this role of up to 8 – 10 weeks per year.
There is an occupational requirement for the successful candidate to be able to align themselves fully with MAF’s Christ-centred vision, mission and core values.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
• Further education, Degree level or equivalent experience
• Hold, or have held a license that is equivalent to a license in category B1, B2 or C OR Commercial Pilot experience with mechanical aptitude
• Broad experience of working in an operational role – pilot or engineer
• Experience with the different aircraft types MAF operates
• Experience in managing and working in a remote team (virtual department)
• Understanding of aircraft performance, component reliability, aircraft systems, avionics equipment, regulatory operational requirements and operational context
• Ability to make decisions based on a values-driven framework, particularly when resolving conflicting priorities
• Ability to communicate clearly across both geographical and cultural boundaries
• Excellent communication skills
• Demonstrated Christian maturity and leadership
• Results and Efficiency driven orientation
• Independent Thinking
• Concern for standards
• Missiological training
• Project management
• Training in Human Factors
• Experience working in commercial or corporate aviation is highly recommended
• Experience in buying and selling aircraft
• Experience in dealing with aviation authorities
• Understanding Others
• Team Management experience
• Logical thinking