Maintenance Operations Supervisor, Liberia
Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) is an organisation using light aircraft to deliver help, hope and healing through aviation in over 30 developing countries. For more than 75 years, MAF has been transporting patients, relief workers, produce and medical supplies to the world’s remotest regions and places of deepest human need – places where flying is not a luxury but a lifeline.
Liberia is one of the oldest republics in Africa, but also one of its poorest. As a country, it has suffered more than a decade of civil war which saw hundreds of thousands die in conflict. The nation was also devastated by the Ebola crisis of 2014.
Today, many people live below the poverty line and have little access to electricity and running water. In Liberia the rainy season can last for more than 6 months which means roads can become virtually impassable. A typical journey could take 20 hours by car can take a MAF plane 1 hour. Therefore our presence in this country is vital for transporting medical equipment, health workers and other essential supplies.
We are looking for a Maintenance Operations Supervisor (MOS) to join our Liberia program. You will take responsibility for managing inspections, equipment, stores, engineering staff and maintenance activities of the Liberia Line Maintenance station to ensure aircraft airworthiness meets international aviation standards, and operational efficiency is met against MAF Standard Operating Procedures. You will also have overall responsibility for the hangar – control of the budget, and spare parts.
All aircraft will need to be maintained in accordance with applicable standards, regulations and safety policies – all completed maintenance complies with MAF, national and international aviation maintenance standards within the scope of the capability listing of the Approved Maintenance Organisation.
• Liaising with national airworthiness authority as required
• Ensuring all aviation maintenance work is certified by licensed staff
• Promoting a positive safety culture and participating in the Safety Action Group
The role will support the effective performance, training and development of all aviation maintenance staff so they have a clear sense of vision and purpose for the aviation maintenance department. All staff will have a working understanding of the relevant MAF maintenance and continued airworthiness procedures and compliance with policies, standards and priorities. You will also provide support to staff – mentoring and coaching them.
You will manage the effective and efficient use of resources in the maintenance department by planning, upgrading and upkeep of engineering facilities and equipment, within budget constraints, such that regional maintenance and training needs can be met, this will include:
• Assisting the program management in the development of strategic and tactical plans
• Ensuring that all necessary and applicable airworthiness information is available to the engineers
You will also manage compliance and continual improvement in the maintenance department by ensuring all work complies with MAF Standards Operating Procedures, national and international aviation maintenance standards within the scope of the capability listing of the Approved Maintenance Organisation.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
• 5 years of aircraft maintenance experience
• 12 months minimum working within MAF International
• Ability to lead and direct others by example
• Current aircraft maintenance engineering licence with applicable ratings
• Ability to make decisions based on a values-driven framework when resolving conflicting priorities
• Excellent team communication skills
• Computer literate and company systems literate e.g. WASP, Mantis
• Working Knowledge of company engineering procedures and practices